Noxubee County originated as a county in 1834, and had been
included in the territory ceded by the Choctaw Indians at the Treaty of Dancing
Rabbit Creek in 1830. As of the census of 2000, there were 12,548 people
residing in Noxubee County.
The county seat is Macon, the largest town in the
county, with a population of 2,461 at the 2000 census. The next largest town is
Brooksville, with a population of 1,182 at the 2000 census, and located about 8
miles north of Macon on Highway 45, just south of the Lowndes County line.
Shuqualak, the third largest town, had a population of 562 at the 2000 census,
and is located about eight miles to the south of Macon. During the War Between
the States, Macon served as the last Confederate Capital.
Noxubee Chancery Clerk
505 S. Jefferson
Macon, MS 39341